Monday, July 13, 2009

Double Feature II Review




For ROH’s second Double Feature, they went north of the border to Canada’s own, Montreal, Quebec and Markham, Ontario. This is actually the first 2009 release I picked up almost immediately, not to say a few other 2009 DVD’s didn’t peak my interest, and it was just how things worked out. This was odd because I thought the first Double Feature was one of the worst ROH releases in the last few years of the Gabe Era. I am glad to say, this double feature provided a good wrestling, top to bottom and was not the same case as the first Double Feature. As you may have read in other reviews, this DVD doesn’t feature any bad matches, and it really doesn’t. I believe the original intent was to have these shows be two separate releases, however I think that helped and hurt the DVD a little bit, and I’ll explain later. In fact, they even designed two separate covers, which I thought was cool, and it makes it seem really like the “best of” of shows. I thought this was a good idea, and in the long run good for the majority of ROH fans. I know there are some fans, that want the complete show, but a majority cannot afford to purchase every DVD. This helps with storyline building as well. So let’s into the match reviews.

The Hunt Begins

Tyler Black vs. Jimmy Jacobs

This has got to be one of the biggest let down feud’s, in the past decade. In my opinion, each guy had their own agenda going, and they forgot to feud with each other for 3-4 months. That is NOT supposed to happen. Tyler Black was going for the belt, and Jimmy Jacobs was dealing with Delirious, while this feud should have been going on in the first place. However these guys put on a great opener. You can tell Tyler Black’s inexperience a little bit, by how he was playing to the crowd a little bit for them to get behind him. Which isn’t a bad thing, however in a blood feud like this, you need to get the fans to believe you really hate your opponent (see Eddie Kingston) This match of one of the reasons I bought the DVD, and not the over-hyped tag title classic. I gave this one 3.25-3.5

Austin Aries vs. Roderick Strong vs. Jay Briscoe vs. Kenny Omega

This was a highly entertaining and fun match. Four of my favorite guys in ROH, going out there, and doing what they do best. Austin Aries cut a good promo to set some of the psychology of the match to follow. Well booked, well delivered. 3.00 – 3.25

Claudio + Jimmy Rave vs. Brent Albright + Colt Cabana

The new embassy is back in full effect . All four of these guys had some singles feuds going with their opponents, so why not throw them in a tag match. That was basically what this was. They didn’t try to over-deliver on the match. Just some good fun wrestling. 3.0

Kevin Steen, El Generico , Bryan Danielson vs. The American Wolves + Sylvain Grenier

Better match than I was expecting. I didn’t think Sylvain looked as bad as people made him out to be, however WHY THE WORLD was he in the main event. He should be been opening the show against Grizzly Redwood or something. He looked WAY out of place. Plus they teamed the Frenchman, with the American wolves as heel. That didn’t look good in my book, however they did a some nice promos to set up their alliance. Wasn’t anything out of this world, but worth checking out. I actually think, ROH didn’t think this main event would help sell the DVD enough, which is why we have Double Feature II. 3.25

Tag Title Classic

Colt Cabana vs. Claudio

This was a rematch of sorts from the tag bout the night before. What you would expect from these two, in fact it was quite similar to the tag match. 3.0

Austin Aries, Rhett Titus, Kenny King vs. Kevin Steen, Generico Dos, and Kenny Omega

On paper, this match looks very good. They gave this match even enough time, and it was good value for the time allowed. Some high flying, high impact moves in this one. Glad this made the DVD. 3.25

Jimmy Jacobs vs. Delirious (Markham Street Fight)

Awesome match. Well booked, with the match opening with a backstage prom that turns into a brawl to the crowd. My personnel favorite match, with the AOTF Dissolving, thus far. The match felt like a war. Good climax and some good spots in this one. 4.0

Jay Briscoe vs. Roderick Strong

This might be my favorite fued of 2009 thus far. Reminds me a little bit of the Stong/Stevens fued from FIP and ROH a year or two ago. Both guys needed a little boost their careers, and putting the two ROH veterans against each other really made the fans notice these guys again. This was round II, even though we already seen the television round 3. Can’t go wrong with Jay and Roddy. 3.5

The American Wolves vs. Tyler Black and Bryan Danielson

Maybe I’m crazy, but I didn’t think this as great as people were making this out to be. Classic match? I guess, but I wouldn’t call it a strong match of the year contender. I don’t even think this was the best tag match in ROH this year. I thought the main event to Take No Prisoners, Tyler Black + Kenta vs. Aries + Nakajima was pound for a pound a better match. Don’t get me wrong, this was still a very good match, just a little slow to start, which is understandable. I must also say I hate draws. If the fans are demanding 5 more minutes, than they should get 5 more. All in all, my highest rated match on the show. 4.25

So there we go, my rating may surprise you a bit, as I rated the “Tag Title Classic” a little lower than most others, however I thought the Jacobs matches, and Briscoe/Strong matches more than made up for it. As I mentioned before, the double shot helped and hurt the DVD. It helped by an amazing compilation of matches. You get to see your favorite ROH stars, not only once but twice on the same disc. I thought that was cool. Plus multiple main event quality matches. The only reason I say it hurt, was because night 1, didn’t really set up night two enough, in my opinion. The matches were well booked with the match itself, including great promos before the match. (which was one beef I had with Double Feature 1) but for the most part the main feuds did not really cross over good enough from night one to two. I think this show will be very close to a top ten ROH DVD for 2009. With that being said, my overall DVD Rating for this show is 88 out of 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment